Criminal and Liability
ALO has extensive expertise and experience in advising clients in both business criminal law and procedural criminal law to support them a business and an individual whether these are India or multinational company keeping in view the international requirements under FCPA / UK Bribery Act etc. We offer a full feature criminal trial and appellate practice service to all its corporate & high net worth clients as part of its ‘one stop shop’ philosophy. ALO has a wide range of experience in:
- General criminal litigation throughout the country at all levels, original and appellate – Supreme Court of India, State High Courts, lower courts, Magistrates Courts, and adjudicating tribunals.
- Select Corporate Criminal Litigation including specifically Corporate frauds and Tort liability.
- Defamation, Privacy and Personal Injury Actions.
- Product Liability Prosecutions.
Our extensive corporate practice has inevitably resulted in the acquisition of experience in Government initiated enforcement litigation of the widest spectrum under all applicable statutes and regulations. We have rich experience of defending litigation initiated under the Companies Act, under the foreign exchange regulation & management regime, securities regulations (SEBI), money laundering, tax prosecutions (direct & indirect), industrial regulation statutes, human resource and labour protection statutes and under municipal and local laws. As a matter of course, we practice extensively before specialty tribunals, enforcement officers, assessing officers, appellate tribunals, civil, criminal and company courts.
We augment efficiency and multidisciplinary approach with the expertise of professionals with over twenty years of experience in specialised boutiques. ALO lawyers are experts not only in white-collar criminal law, but also in criminal procedural law which enables us to skilfully handle procedural problems and situations surrounding the criminal justice system keeping in mind the international statutory compliances.
Our corporate criminal law practice extends to: –
- advise on preventative measures, to hedge ordinary operations and extraordinary transactions from any criminal or compliance liability including domestic & international.
- safeguard the business in terms of workplace health and safety, conferment of the appropriate powers and reporting duties throughout the management chain of a business (including for environmental matters), and adequate internal controls system keeping in view both the national & international standards & requirements
- cope with emergencies arising from investigations and defend its clients (as a business or individual) against criminal charges or alleged tax fraud and bankruptcy before the courts, including charges of misconduct with public entities, the Magistrate’s Court, the High Court and leading to the Supreme Court of India
We provide comprehensive assistance if you are the victim, whether as a company or individual to enable adequate justice dispensation. We extensively support our clients in the following areas of Criminal Litigation:
- Corporate Frauds, Insider Trading and Market Manipulation.
- White Collar Crimes and Economic Offences.
- Misappropriation and Siphoning of Funds.
- Dishonour of Cheques.
- Department of Company Affairs – Serious Frauds Investigation office.
- Quashing of FIRs/ Bails/ Trial.
- Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Criminal Complaints, Writs / Revisions / Appeals.
- Violation of Intellectual Property Rights / Cyber Laws.
- Press, Sedition & Privacy laws
- Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
- Defamation & Obscenity Laws
- FEMA / COFEPOSA/ SAFEMA/ Benami Properties / Fugitive Offenders Act.
- Tax (Direct & Indirect) Prosecutions
- Prosecutions by Central or State agencies
- Industrial Disputes & Labour Laws
- All Special Acts which provide for prosecution of an individual, company and/or its management
- Investigations/prosecutions under International Corruption & Economic Offences Laws